Today we got our washing machine! Yepee! We will soon have clean clothes...after we go buy laundry detergent. Apparently we bought only fabric softner, not actual soap. So off to the store again. And we need the thing to hang the clothes on to dry cuz they don't make dryers here. Clean clothes will be nice. Sheepie actually washed some clothes already with fabric softner, not knowing that's what it was. We were amazed how nice the detergent smelled and how nice our house smelled for 2 days after that!
Today was the first "real lecture" day. Scary for me. Technology is not my friend. My Mac could not be hooked onto the Projector so I had to save it on a thumb drive and then play it off of Sheepie's computer...well, we didn't realize that the file was too big to be transferred. So I lectured the first 30 minutes without my lovely eye pictures, then Sheepie got about half of the slide show to work. Hopefully I can fix it tomorrow for the next day! But I did give the students all the notes, just the pictures were not available (this was disease, so you need to look at pictures). All the students then asked for the slide show as well. I said I can try to put it on CDs for them, then they all got out their thumb drives! Hopefully the lecture made sense and we'll get more tech-friendly as the week goes by. Sucks that we have to rely on technology so much and it seems so out of our hands.. like the projector might or might not work, you never know...
We are home now and I'm gonna attempt to make some chicken stew. I was a hostess to the guys who came to install the washer (2 plus our regular driver) and made them all tea and gave them cookies. Everywhere you go you are offered tea here. Usually it is Lipton "Yellow" brand, which is Earl Grey! Yummy tea. It's really cheap and it is everywhere here and Egypt. Some people put mint or sage leaves in it. At school there is a man who just goes around making us tea all day (or coffee-which is the small Turkish black coffee). The university employs him from the refugee camp (he needs the job and the president tries to find jobs for people). We also have a janitor that comes around every few hours to get our trash, clean the floor, etc! He's really nice, but we really don't make much trash; so usually we just say hello and "no trash".
We still need a few things to get settled, but it feels like we've pretty much lived here for a long time already, even though it's just a week!
The students are super nice and I enjoyed my lecture today because they really get involved with the lecture; it's not just 18 blank faces starring back at you. They actually talk to me during the lecture, it's so nice cuz I know they are all listening. They help out so much too.. set up the projector for us, clean after us, offer to pass out our papers! And they stop by our office so other people they know can meet us, makes us feel special :)
Our electric toothbrush, flash, and shaver power cord made it back from Egypt. All seems to be in working condition.
Gotta go cook. Hope this turns out okay...
swell
US Imperialism - Military Forces
6 years ago
3 comments:
Hey, - nothing to do with this post, but I've been wondering ---- why is there a Sheepie, Sr. and where is Sheepie, Jr. Thanks for the update. Interesting, as always. Sounds like you are going to make good friends with your students and will have lots of input into their lives.
We are struggling at work here with the death of a 3 year old in a foster home. Very sad and very hard as many of the workers on our floor were involved with this file in one way or another.
Do you guys have an address yet that we can mail you something. I don't think we can phone you on the type of plan we have on our phone so I'll have to find out how to get a phone card.
I get to talk to JL's school about being a social worker on the 8th - 4 30 minute talks - so I'm doing some research on that and looking forward to it. I am a little worried about what technology I will use myself - overheads? I am better with flip charts.
I start Parent Prep classes on FEb 3rd for four Saturdays which is the training that foster and adoptive families take in preparation for having a child in their home. I am looking forward to that too.
Jamie started driving today - I don't know how that went. He also got another job interview that looks good - I'll let him tell you about it but if he doesn't over the next week or so, I'll do it myself.
Talk to you later.
Love Mum
Thanks for the update! Sad about the 3 year old. Can you say what happened?
I'll find out if you can use our Jerusalem address for mail or if we can use this address here.
I talked to my parents on Skype and it worked out okay. We'd probably have to call you first and tell you to go to you computer... This is all if we have working internet at home (it's been fluctuating).
Gotta go to my 3 hour lecture about contact lenses. I'm getting nervous. It's a long time. But I'll give them lots of breaks. I'll need the breaks too.
Swell
PS. Sheepie JR is our little stuffed animal sheep that we bring when we go places and take pictures. I think I forgot to bring them to Canada last time. We just started doing that on our last Romania trip.
Good luck with your three hour lecture. I'm sure you will do fine.
Hopefully I can talk to you later.
Post a Comment