Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Here's the deal

I'm sitting here in our flat by myself. Swell is at a get together for the women who live in our complex. She was invited after we had lunch at the University Vice-President's house. I guess it's a we-have-nothing-else-to-do-so-let's-get-together kind of thing.

The folks here are hoping that the siege will end tomorrow. They have no reason to believe it will other than hope.

Our situation is as it stand now is as follows:

1) We were not evacuated because this came as a shock to every one. The Israelis are claiming this siege is to arrest 7 wanted men. A city is being held hostage so that 7 men can be found and arrested. The conspiracy theorists believe that this is simply a large scale training exercise for the Israeli military.
2) We are actually not under curfew. We live outside of the curfew zone. Only the old city is under curfew. We have seen nothing. We have heard nothing.
3) So far this siege has left one man dead and an apartment burned.
4) The checkpoints are open. This means we can leave if we feel we need to. So far we don't see or feel that need.
5) An international volunteer was taken to the checkpoint yesterday. She has since left the area for Jerusalem.
6) We have food and water.
7) We have electricity.
8) Our neighbours are very concerned for us and have all offered anything we could need.
9) We have been phoned by 3 different people to ensure we have food and water.
10) We doubt we will teach for the rest of the week as it is believed that students are leaving the city for their villages. This siege is, therefore, costing students the opportunity to learn. They will lose at least a week of their education.

All in all don't listen or read the news as it pertains to Nablus. That is not our situation - but listen and read the news as it pertains to Nablus because this is creating great difficulties for a lot of people. There are stories of the Israeli military using human shields which was declared illegal by the Israeli supreme court. There are stories of 20 plus people being put in a single room in a home and not allowed out of the room at anytime - as the military is using the home as a base of operation. We're getting the full experience during our short time here.

Hope everyone is well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to call you for the past two days being worried about you. I have been following the news here but I don't understand much hebrew. now that I found an internet cafe it's time for us to change hotels. I will try to phone your house since now i have the number. My trip so far is amazing. I have seen so much. I don't think I would have ever seen so much if i traveled by myself.
Be safe and I hope to talk to you later. J...

apriljahns said...

Glad to know you are able to get out of the house if you need to.

Be safe.