Sunday, February 25, 2007

Snow Day(s?)

So we woke up this morning got dressed and were ready to leave when we received the phone call. We were told that for the second time in our month or so here that classes were canceled. We have been invaded.

We had no idea. All the action is happening in the old city which is quite a distance from us. A curfew has been imposed by an outside government and classes have been canceled indefinitely. Not good for us as we try to teach as much as we possibly can in a relatively short time frame. We were told by our hosts not to leave the house (but we've heard kids playing in our parking lot all day - our homes are very sheltered in this area) today. We have enough water and food to last a few days but because G was here we didn't do our normal weekly shopping so I might be on a diet in the next two or three days.

Hopefully classes will be held tomorrow but we're not entirely sure. We'll find out later today.

It seems that G. got out just in time.

That said since our pictures were so well received here are four more:

Swell at her desk in our office





Swell on a camel




Two guys at the Wailing wall




Moses finally reaching the promised land (at the Mediterranean)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are safe. Hope you get groceries. Good talking to you this a.m.

Love Mum

apriljahns said...

I told Ryan that you guys had a curfew because your city was invaded. It's a weird thing to say. I imagine it's even weirder for you to be living in a city that's been invaded - even if you are away from the 'action'. It not only sounds foreign, it sounds medieval. Hmmm, now visions of Monty Python are popping in my head. That's not kosher. Ooh, neither is that last comment. But I'm keeping it in.

Anonymous said...

Nicole got to ride a camel!?! I'm so jealous. Glad to hear you are all right. I trust you guys to have some wisdom about when to get out. Make sure you don't accidentaly wait too late.

Love you,
J-L

P.s. Round four of report cards due March 5. I love my life!