Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Rambling Post About Nothing

“Are you two honeys?”

“What?”

“Are you two honeys?”

“We’re married if that’s what you mean.”

“Swell and Sheepie sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G.”

And thus went our conversation with some of the kids of Brevig, Alaska.




First: Honeys?

Second: What are we 8?

Well I guess they were 8. But their 8 year old taunts didn’t sting much .

We weren’t tremendously busy on this village trip. Many of the villagers are starting their summer routines.

Summer routine for kids is apparently to taunt the newcomers and stay up all night with the exclamation “I don’t have a curfew!” and for many of the adults – camp.




We’re not sure what “camp” entails but assume that they go out of the village for weeks or months to collect provisions for the soon to arrive winter.


That’s right, soon to arrive winter.

We were told that they’ve been having long winters and short summers the last few years.

It is the beginning of June and there is still snow in the village and the ocean is still mostly frozen around Brevig.


We were told that the ice was lasting a long time this year.

When we asked when the ice usually melts we were met with the blunt and surprising answer of “April”.

Yikes.

Some of the villagers that we did see were excited to be able to replace the western diet they’ve been living off of for the winter with their native diet for the summer. I can’t say that I blame them for that excitement.

Their store is limited in choices with little to no fresh produce. So its canned, frozen and prepared foods.

More Brevig:



ummm ok?



A less foggy day






Our entertainment on this trip was a couple of movies both of which made Swell cry.

But they were better than seeing things like this on our walks:






First up was Sicko.

Michael Moore’s documentary on the US healthcare system.

It was pretty good.

But I’m the choir.

Swell sat and cried because she sees herself in those people’s shoes. The ones who are dying because they can’t afford healthcare.

She’s not really in their shoes but its still sad to know that we live in a society that doesn’t care enough to declare health care (at least basic health care) a right and to stand in solidarity with each other to ensure that all have access to care without having to worry about the financial hardship that care would create.

She is still without health insurance but we’ll keep working on it.

The second documentary we watched I didn’t think was all that particularly good but was interesting.

Invisible Children has become all the rage with young people. It is about child soldiers in Uganda. It was made by a trio of young guys who traveled to Uganda to uncover a story. They did and they created a movement.

I’m not sure what this movement has accomplished but its good that many young people have decided that what happens over there is worth being concerned about over here.

Again I’m the choir so it doesn’t take much to convince me.

A lot of tears have been shed the last few days as we try to come up with a life plan.

We’re still planless and hopelessly lost.

It’ll come together eventually I suppose.

We’re back in Nome for a week and then we’ve been told we’ll be doing village travel again next week.



We’re not sure why we’re doing village travel as they don’t usually do village travel in the summer months because of people leaving the villages for “camp” but we’re happy to do it as it means that we’re able to make more money than we deserve on many of the village trip days.

We’re living a pretty boring life.

We work (a little). We eat (a little). We watch TV (a lot). We sleep (a lot – but not soundly).

Here in Nome the snow is all gone and the ice has long since left. We had a little snow on Memorial Day and the next day but it has since melted as well.

We’re waiting to hear about New Zealand. Waiting to hear about a job in Florida (but that doesn’t seem to be happening). We’re considering a possibility in Tacoma (but won’t think much about it until we come back from Romania).

We’ve decided NOT to move to Oregon.

We don’t like the board of optometry there and it is far too saturated with optometrists.

So that leaves Washington, Alberta and New Zealand.

We’ll see.



Oh. One last thing an actual conversation that happened last week:

BRING BRING BRING.

Assistant "There is a phone call for one of the optometrists!"
Sheepie "Hello?"
Male Voice "Is Swell there?"
Sheepie "I think she's in the shower. Is there something I can help you with?"
Male Voice "I was just going to ask if SHE wanted to go for a walk around the village with me."
Sheepie "Ummm... I think she's going to go to bed after her shower so probably not tonight. Sorry?"
Male Voice "Ok."
Sheepie hanging up phone: "I think I just turned down some guy asking my wife out..."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Even the kids knew you were "honeys" - the fellow that phoned wasn't too swift or he's not very moral!

Excellent post - great pictures - glad you let us know what was happening. We continue to pray for you on Friday nights at family night - we miss you and are asking God for clear direction for your lives.

The pictures of the fish were awesome - I was thinking how good a feed that would be! I wonder if they eat those fish fresh or if they smoke them for the winter? Do they cut through the ice and do ice fishing during the winter?

Keep us posted.

Love Mum

Anonymous said...

I was enjoying this post quite a bit. It made me laugh, made me worried, made me want to pray. It pretty much gave me all emotions haha. It was a good post.

I'll continue praying for the 2 of you and Gods direction as well. Inside my heart i'm obviously saying ALBERTA ALBERTA ALBERTA! but just as much as i'm sure your family and I would love that, we only have Gods best direction for your lives in mind.

Although the healthcare issue for nicole would be a lot easier.

The uganda thing is kinda cool. Jamie and I slept in a field after trekking through whyte ave with a bunch of youth for that one year. Unfortunately it ended up getting rained out and became a bit hazardous with some of the local homeless people and some of those a-typical "punk" like kids who decided to bring huge rotti dogs over to where we were staying. Although i can imagine some of our fears not being even close to the amount of fear those children have at night. That video is sad.
I've yet to see SICKO though.

I enjoyed the pictures. I chuckled at the doofus who thought he'd get a shot at nicole. the kids knew you were honey's but not the men. Which of the two is more intellegent? haha.

I hope you have a good village trip.

Love always;
Jenn.

Unknown said...

Ma - They don't smoke them or eat them fresh.

They dry them.

I'm not sure how the process works but it turns out much like jerky.

They don't fish in the winter as far as I know. The ice is too thick I think.

When we were there they were net fishing in the cracks and crevices of ice that had melted.

Anonymous said...

Your post was spectacular! Thank you for the pictures and for the update! I think it was particulary funny about a random male asking Swell on a walk around town! They don't get new faces there often, do they?! Gosh, I only hope it was a young pre-teen
who wasn't thinking much about what he was asking.

I think it is also funny to associate summer with cold. What I mean by that, june is a start of the summer month, and according to your pictures, a lot of ice is still on the ground. Funny how the locals make summer plans while is still snow around them! I would think, brrrrr, cold, winter!

Gotta go put the baby to bed.
Thanks for the update!
Crina

Unknown said...

Crina - it was a guy our age.

I'll assume that "they don't get new faces there often, do they?!" was a joke or an unintentional jab at Nicole. I'll admit it made us laugh.

apriljahns said...

My vote: Washington
Guy asking the husband if the wife can go out with him: hilarious