Friday, July 27, 2007

An Optometric Interview

Potential Employee Hi, I'm Potential Employee and I'm here to meet with Potential Employer.
Office Worker OK, just one minute.
Potential Employer Hi Potential Employee!. I'm Potential Employer. It is wonderful to meet you. Thanks so much for coming to the interview.
Potential Employee No proble....
Potential Employer Lets look around at the office. Here's the front. Here's the middle. Here's the back. I've built this practice from the ground up. I'm very happy with the way the practice runs. We've got a great group of folks working here. Our patients love us. We enjoy providing all potential optometric and optical services to our patients.
Potential Employee That's grea....
Potential Employer I graduated from Optometry school in 1984 and have practiced in this state since then. We've been in this location for 10 years and have really grown a lot. I'm married have 4 kids... they keep me real busy. I love them though. We have a lot of fun together. Just like the staff. We're a big family here at work. We enjoy each other's company and work hard and play hard. My spouse doesn't work in the office but they sure work around the office keeping the technology/decorating/magazines/plants in good working order. My kids are aged 12, 10, 8, and 6. Oh, my the six year old has been sick lately.
Potential Employee Oh N....
Potential Employer She's fine but keeps me up late. I'm so tired. Between the kids, the practice, my hobbies. It's real tough. So when do you want to start?

That my friends is how difficult an optometry interview is. Trust me I'm not exaggerating. I've been through a lot of them. Today's was similar. I think the reason I was interviewed and basically hired was because I won the fax race. My CV was the first over the fax machine so I was the first called. I showed up and wasn't drooling Too much so I was hired.

Its only for a day a week for now but hopefully it will grow into more (although it isn't even starting until we come back from Florida... I think). Its close by and is a "private" practice so theoretically it is better than what I've been doing for the past 5 years. The owner/optometrist seems real nice and they have more equipment than I'm used to so thats good.

I have another "interview" on Monday for a Wal-Mart (YUCK! Blech! etc. - you should know that we don't shop at Wal-Mart at all. For any reason. Ever.) but its nearish by and part-time. So we'll see. Its only for a year at the most (shhh... that's a secret) so I can handle it. Our biggest concern is transportation. We share a car and WILL NOT buy another one so we need to work opposite days or commute. We'll see how it turns out.

Wanna see something that costs $2500? Look here. Family - you better pay us back!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, are you going to take that job, or see what they offer you at WalMart?

WOW!! Disney World Tickets! I am jealous! I know you will have a great time there with your family! How many more days? Are you doing the Countdown?
Crina

Anonymous said...

Notice the quick and enthusiastic response from the family? All the quick arrangements to pay you? We all had a meeting and decided since you have the tickets anyway....thanks!

apriljahns said...

Sounds like a grueling interview process. Hope you like one or both jobs if you take the WalMart one.

Anonymous said...

How did the walmart interview go? As tough as the last one?

Anonymous said...

I have an idea. After the holiday, you should drive your car here. Come visit, so nicole and I can go shopping (apparently she's fun to shop with) and then leave your car for jamie and then fly home.

sounds like a plan to me!!!

haha.