Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I heart Jury Duty

I am so thankful that I didn't get picked for the trials! Any other normal week it would have actually been kind of fun to be a juror, but not this (my last day off until our trip to WA). It was just 3 hours of sitting in a cold room, listening to my iPod, hearing judges' speeches (trying to be funny - they were a little) and watching a movie on how to be a juror. It wasn't a bad experience, but I forgot to bring a book... For any of you getting summons in the future, remember to bring a book. And snacks. One guy had his laptop...I was jealous. Anyways, I'm happy I didn't get picked! Oh, but this means I must clean the house and have no excuse to make M. do it tomorrow! :( Oh well.

N.

9 comments:

CWH said...

Hubby got put on a murder trial for three weeks when we lived in CA. I was almost sure he was not going to get selected. They asked about his job, but never read the questionnaire where he said he had a PhD in Chemistry. They hated that he was explaining the forensic evidence to the other jurors. Heh.

Anonymous said...

I got to do jury duty. It was an abuse case that went on for two weeks. It was really interesting.

Funny thing was when the police investigators passed around the photos, they felt it necessary to explain in great detail about luminol and everyone on the jury is like, "oh, we know luminol. We watch CSI."

Love,
J-L

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I just commented about your trial JL! You stole my thunder. I think we posted it at the exact same time.

CWH: That's funny that your husband was explaining the evidence! It would be fun to do a jury trial, but I'm glad not this time around. Next time I'll say, "Pick me! Pick me!"
N

Unknown said...

J-L,

Hi :) They actually asked how many people watch shows like CSI, Judging Amy, etc...then the judge that was giving our speech said, "Well, it's nothing like that!"

N.

Anonymous said...

The trial part was very interesting but the actual deciding is nerve racking. In the trial I was on the jury, I was actually still undecided until the very last day. I knew it was likely that the guy did it but it was all circumstantial evidence. On the last day, the stupid defendant (against his laywer's wishes) took the stand in his own defence. He solidly convinced me he did it.

I never got to hear what his sentence was though.

Unknown said...

That's funny. Goes to show you that you probably should listen to your lawyer (at least in that case). But that was nice that he was able to help you decide :)
N.

Anonymous said...

So only a few more days until you leave for six months. Are you panicking yet?

J-L

Unknown said...

Panicking about Christmas is more like it...one panic at a time! We just have so much packing to do and we can't do it till after Christmas...so in light of the most current events (read sheepie's post) this might not be such a big panic. Looking forward to seeing everyone and opening at least 4 hour worth of presents :)

swell