Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas is over...

So it's a good thing our flight from Vancouver to Edmonton was delayed on the 23rd. It took us a full 2 hours to get from the Portland to Vancouver arrival gate, through customs/immigration, pick up our luggage and re-check it in, go back through security (what kind of stupid airport forces you to leave the secure area to move to another terminal which of course means you have to be re-checked?) and get to our departure gate. Our second flight was, as I said before, delayed by about an hour. We got to the gate just as they began boarding. Had the flight not been delayed we would not have made it.

Christmas was great this year. Seemed very relaxed. It was a good time with family. Took family pictures, opened gifts, ate, played games, ate, went on a sleigh ride and ate some more.

Swell survived a week in Edmonton without getting a virus which is great. She's been sick while in Edmonton for the last few years. Hopefully she stays well for the rest of the year.

It was an interesting trip back to Portland/Washougal. We flew back to Vancouver, BC and had a lot of time there to get from arrival gate to departure gate (arrive, long walk to US customs, talk to immigration guy, pick up bags, drop off bags, get re-screened, long walk to gate). While waiting for the flight to Portland I was spending the last of our Canadian money. I was behind some guy in line who was throwing a fit because a book he was trying to buy with US money was $11.50. His contention was that the book was labeled $7.99 US and that was what he should pay. Of course in reality the book costs $10.99 CDN. If you convert that price to US currency and add in taxes, etc. they were asking for $11.65 US. He was livid. "The book costs $7.99 US. You have to honour the price that is listed on the book." The woman at the store very calmly (and correctly) stated that the price in US funds does not account for the shipping and handling, etc. that occurs to get the book to Canada. The book costs $10.99 in Canada. If he chose to pay for it in US funds it would be $11.65. This made perfect sense to me. He got all mad and basically said that he WAS British and that he didn't put up with this crap. He would pay in British pounds but they had the nerve not to accept Pounds as a form of payment. It was an entertaining way to spend some of our waiting time.

To the women who sat behind us on the flight from E'town to Vancouver:

The Washington Capitals do NOT play in WA state. They play in Washington DC which is neither Seattle nor "near the mountains of Washington". Furthermore, if it took your sister 4 days to drive from Olympia to Edmonton it's not because it's sooo far away. It's because she drives 4 hours a day. I made it from Forest Grove, OR to Edmonton in a 1970 VW in 24 hours. That included a couple of sleep breaks on the side of the road.

It was a great Christmas and we're looking forward to an exciting new year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matthew and Nicole. Glad you made it safely back to Portland. You need to return to Edmonton so Nicole can get her DVD's that arrived today. Thanks for the air freshener - I was sorry I hadn't asked you to bring me some and when I got home - there it was! I also found your great Christmas card - it is beautiful. I look forward to seeing the pictures of my office.

I am assuming you didn't have trouble with customs or with the weight of your suitcases. Did everything you took with you arrive in one piece and unspoiled?

It was great to see you and we are very glad that Nicole stayed healthy.

I have to go in to work tomorrow to finish off something that has to be done and has been taking me way too long. But then I get to stay home on Monday and only work Tuesday and half of Wednesday. Good deal. Then off to Vegas.

Love you both. Hi to Cornel and Helena. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thanks for the yummy chocolates.

Love to you all. Judy

Unknown said...

Hello Mustard,

We made it with no trouble at the airport - the two big suitcases were slightly (2lb) over, but the nice lady said it was fine. The only thing that caused some concern at security were the canisters of hot chocolate/coffee mixes! I guess they appeared to be some sort of black voids on the x-ray machine - good job protecting my drinks Tim Hortons!

Looking forward to receiving the DVDs - you can either send them to ATL or save them for later (ie care package - hint, hint!).

I'm very glad I stayed healthy. My mom thinks I'm cured.

It was nice seeing your office - we'll have to send you the pictures once we get home. Nice decorations.

Have fun in LV! Happy travels and
WIN US SOME MONEY!!!

Love,

N & M

apriljahns said...

Hi. Glad to hear Swell didn't swell in Edmonton. Sheepie - LAX makes you leave the secure area and go back through security when your connecting flight is in another terminal. It is maddening.