Wow I can’t believe how long it’s been since we’ve updated this thing. Well no fear fair reader we are updating it… NOW.
We left our wonderful
But that’s an aside. We left on Sunday, December 14 in the not so early morning. We had to be in
The first day’s drive went quite well. Car was loaded beautifully (although we had so much stuff you couldn’t see out of the back window).
| From Trippost2 |
| From Trippost2 |
| From Trippost2 |
| From Trippost2 |
| From Trippost2 |
| From Trippost2 |
We drove all the way to
But being an extremely skilled driver I was able to drive us safely until we finally found a hotel.
But being… well… me and me being stupid we found the hotel but I miss judged how to get to the hotel and ended up back on the freeway going back the way we just came from. We had to slip slide 10 miles before reaching an exit and then had to slip slide the 10 miles back to the hotel. <>
| From Trippost2 |
The next morning broke and when I went outside to start the car I noticed it was cold.
Oh so cold.
And it didn’t warm up again the rest of our trip. We hit some frigid, frigid temperatures. It was -40 in
Day 2 included more driving.
| From Trippost2 |
So much driving.
| From Trippost2 |
Through the barren wasteland that is the Northern States.
| From Trippost2 |
We quickly learned along our drive that the bottle of windshield washer fluid that somehow found its way into our trunk did not contain anti-freeze and had frozen in the lines after I dutifully filled our tank to the brim in preparation for our trip.
Who needs to see anyway?
| From Trippost2 |
Day 2 ended somewhere in
| From Trippost2 |
Day 3 took us into
| From Trippost2 |
The border guards were NOT happy to see us. For some reason they didn’t believe that we weren’t i) moving to
Like the previous owner’s purchase contract and registration. They asked to see our registration and asked where the car was licensed a couple of times.
They had Nicole take out her computer and show them the contracts for our new jobs to prove we weren’t moving to
They were trying to catch us in a lie. But we weren’t lying so they didn’t catch us in a lie.
So there border guards.
Moral of the story? Canadian border guards are grumpy.
It must be the cold.
They eventually believed our story and let us cross into my motherland.
After they let us go we only drove a block before we pulled over so I could re-pack the car they messed up.
Packing is a skill that not everyone understands.
| From Trippost2 |
They took the time to ruin my packing but couldn’t figure out how to fix it! Jerks.
Our plan for Day 3 was to drive to
We got on the ring road.
We soon found ourselves past
It really was that quick.
“Oh!
“Wait… what happened to
So we drove to
I don't like Saskatoon.
Never have.
Never will.
The restaurant in
Crazy.
You order food and they bring you a surprise soup. Nowhere on the menu did it say your meal comes with a giant bowl of soup. But it did.
After the soup came a platter of food.
So. Much. Food.
And after eating the food you’re expected to brave -40 weather to walk back to the hotel? I think not.
| From Trippost2 |
Day 4 was Canadian driving. More accurately
| From Trippost2 |
| From Trippost2 |
That was fun.
| From Trippost2 |
About 60 km east of Vegreville all hell broke lose with our car. I was driving along minding my own business when the back of our car tried to pass the front of our car. The back was sliding left and right and back left again. We were all over the road. We became more concerned when we realized that it seemed we were the only ones having such a tough time on the road. I fought the car the rest of the way to
| From Trippost2 |
Nicole lost years off her life with her fretting and worrying about “losing control” and “crashing” and “being killed” but I told her I am a superior driver and wouldn’t allow her to be more than “maimed”.
Turns out we have crappy tires. And the road from Vegreville to
So word of advice: don’t drive from
Unless you like a challenge.
We stopped to check the car out in a little town called Mundare, Alberta. It's Nicole's favourite Albertan town because its the home of Mundare Sausage.
And this monument.
| From Trippost2 |
We made it to
Exhausted. Worn out. But we had arrived.
2 comments:
hahaaha the 2 pics of the sask road were classic!
agreed re border guards but i'm of the opinion that they're just bored so they turn into jerks..
I loved the pics!
love you guys...safe travels.
xoxo
Maisha
Post a Comment