Sunday, May 04, 2008

Little Diomede

So I thought all y'all might want to hear about my big trip to Little Diomede.

There really isn't much to tell when one goes on a village trip to work so much of this post will be pictures.

I went into work on Tuesday morning with Swell and worked for three hours or so. Worked because I only ended up seeing one patient. At lunch time I caught a ride to the airport in the patient transfer truck. I checked my stuff in and was soon on the way to Little Diomede.

Little Diomede is only about an hour flight away from Nome. We flew over the Bering Strait for much of the flight and proceeded to land on an ice runway. It is quite a sight to land in a plane noticing that there are small rowboats between the land and the runway - meaning that in the summer the runway doesn't exist.

Little Diomede is a remote village that depends on airplanes in the winter and Helicopters in the summer for supplies.

Weather often cancels these supply flights so they still live off the land - seal, crab, etc.

Little Diomede is three miles across the water from Big Diomede.

Little Diomede = USA
Big Diomede = Russia

Little Diomede = population 120ish
Big Diomede = population 0 (the former USSR moved everyone off the island years ago)

Picture of Big Diomede from the plane


Picture of Little Diomede from the airport


Upon arrival we (the optician and I) walked to the village and determined that we would set up in the Rec-Hall (bingo hall/after school hall/dance hall). Little Diomede is built on what is basically a cliff. There are about four rows of buildings. The rec-hall is on the second row and is accessed by walking up snow stairs. Unfortunately when the snow fell throughout the week the stairs became a slide. I would take a step and just slide the rest of the way down when going to the store or where I was sleeping. Not a place you want to live if you're frail or elderly or clumsy (JDL).



We set up and started to see patients at 4 o'clock.




We worked seeing 3 patients an hour until 7 when we broke for dinner. It went quite well except for the fact that some of my equipment was broken and I had a tonne of kids to start with who all came simultaneously. It was a zoo. Three kids standing over my shoulder while I examined their sibling. We broke from 7 until 8 and then came back from 8 until 10.

A busyish day seeing 14 people in Little Diomede.

We then stumbled down the hill to bed.





The next morning started at 8:00 with lunch at noon. And then from 1 to 7 we worked some more and then back from 8 until 10. Very busy day with my seeing 34 people.

We were supposed to work a few hours the next morning and then leave Little Diomede for Nome. The weather wasn't cooperating with wind and snow so our flight was canceled.



Big Diomede from Little Diomede compared with following picture (first day taken from rec-hall) to get idea of weather





We worked a couple of extra hours and then found that we had seen all who wanted to be seen. Thus started our boring, boring 30 hour delay. I watched some Office. Watched a movie I found in the clinic (not a clinic movie, a real movie)

We awoke the next morning to a nice day but the runway needed to be cleared. I basically sat around all day Friday waiting for the plane. It finally arrived to take us home at 5ish and my time in Little Diomede was over.

The people were great there. Very kind and grateful. It was a neat experience.

Like I said not much to talk about when you're working 14 hour days and trapped by the wind and snow. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

The Store


Boats


The kids








Going Home


4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thanks, very remote but interesting, yes I like pictures Thanks again

Anonymous said...

rad i wanna go there so bad! sort of.

Unknown said...

My grandson's great grandmother was born on Big Diomede I just found out. Searching for pictures I came across this post. Wonderful pictures, I shiver as I view them even though I live in the Yukon. I want my Grandson to be proud of his heritage.