Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wow. I think this is one of the longest stretches without a real update.


A lot of not much going on here.

Since we came back to Atlanta we’ve been preparing to leave Atlanta.

Of course we had a week with our nephew, Cami, which was a lot of fun.

Expensive, but fun.

After he left I worked three days of that next week while Swell packed boxes.

We are supposed to be listing our place before we go back to Nome so to prepare our condo to be shown we’re trying to get rid of some of the clutter. We rented a storage unit and Swell packed a bunch of boxes to put into storage. Well, we both packed boxes but she spent more time at it than I did. We put extra clothes into storage, books, CDs, DVDs, knick knacks and a bunch of stuff we’ve accumulated for Romania.

In addition to bringing many car loads of stuff to storage we also borrowed the storage units big truck into which I threw a bunch of book shelves, chairs and storage units.

I carried all of these things myself.

They were heavy.

I am now bruised from carrying said items from our unit to the elevator.

From the elevator through the parking structure.

From the parking structure down the sidewalk to where the truck is allowed to be parked.

It was hard work and our place still doesn’t look great.

There are a million units for sale in our building. This doesn’t bode well for the sale of our unit.

I’m not sure why everyone is moving. I don’t think that the mortgage crisis is applicable to most of the people who live in our building. It seems that most of the people who live in our building our professional people with some money but who knows.

We’re supposed to be back at work in Nome on Monday.

We have yet to receive our travel information.

We have yet to receive our travel information as our tickets have yet to be purchased.

We’re supposed to be back at work in Nome on Monday!

We were told to expect the tickets to be purchased today…

…hopefully.

I’m back at work today.

The four days I’ve worked since being back in Atlanta have all been at a practice in Jasper, GA. It is only about 65 miles, but seems worlds, away from home.

It is a rural community in the deep south so it has been an experience.

When I took the job I thought that it would be two or three days each week for three weeks. It turned out that they only needed me the four times I’ve been here. This left a gap of a week with nothing for us to do (other than pack and clean).

Not wanting to be responsible adults we went to Universal Studios in Orlando.

We had a week of fun, and WAY too much food.

It was completely irresponsible and we now feel guilty for doing it.

Oh well.

In the midst of the above we paid our tax bill. Ouch.

We also started a short, short way down the path of responsibility by opening an account for mutual funds. We got a tax savings out of it and were able to deposit quite a bit of money into an IRA (above the normal limit as we did it as self employed people – which we are – rather than employed folks).

Hopefully we can put more and more into these funds so that we can retire when we’re 55.

As if.

We weren’t created to work.

So we don’t.

We will be in Nome until the end of June. We then fly back to Atlanta where we’ll dump off our cold weather clothes and throw our warm weather clothes into our carry-on size backpacks. We’ll fill 3 or 4 suitcases with clothes and stuff for poor Romanians and then four days later we’ll leave to spend five weeks in and around Romania.

After our first week there my sister, JDL, and the good one will join us for their introduction to the cesspool of Bucharest. We’ll also spend time in other parts of Romania and then take the train to Prague where we’ll part ways and Swell and I will fly back to Hotlanta and ???

1 comment:

J-L said...

Nice to finally hear from you. Glad you had fun in Orlando. It is good to have fun. Sonia and I agree that we are not built to work. We should all just have fun all the time. In keeping with the life is fun and who cares about money attitude, Sonia and I just booked a hotel in Post Falls, Idaho for the May long weekend. We decided to kennel the dogs where we plan to put them for the month we are in Europe. We also thought it would be fun to go shopping at the outlets (maybe for summer clothes!) and we're going to go to Silverwood.
We are kind of excited but know we are being rather foolish.

We need to talk about our trip and booking places to stay. We think we have a good line on something in Budapest. Give us a call soon!

J-L