Much like seeing the Loch Ness Monster I am finding sleep to be rather elusive. I don't have insomnia per se as I eventually fall asleep only to have poor quality sleep. I wake up more tired than when I went to sleep.
Strange.
Swell's most recent birthday present should solve the sleeping problem.
Every episode of Road to Avonlea ever. Seven seasons worth.
Nice Thanks a lot for that gift. Just kidding. Kind of. Swell likes it that's all that matters. Its ok that I'll need to sit through them as well.
We may have a place to watch those episodes. The Nome job has gone from 11 days every two months to three weeks every ? months for both of us. They also want us to do some village travel. We would get into a small plane that would fly us into a village that can only be accessed by air where we would spend a couple of days being optometrists. They have a backlog of patients so they would like us to spend three weeks up there at a time. Fine by us as it is a 32% daily raise.
Employed/independent contractor optometrists tend to be paid via a daily rate. Some jobs have built in incentives (if you see X people you get Y extra per day) but it is a daily rate none-the-less.
Currently I work only 3 and 3/4 day per week. I pick up an extra day or two when I can. Swell works five days per week.
Going to Nome we would both receive an immediate 32% raise and I would be working more per week. 5 or 6 days a week. This will allow us to relax more on our weeks off. We would still be looking for fill-in work in and around wherever we happen to be (WA, OR, or GA maybe AB) but it wouldn't kill us if we only found a day or two here and there. This in turn would allow us to concentrate on other areas of our lives.
Selling our house.
Finding a practice.
Writing.
Etc.
Seems very exciting to me.
We're just waiting for a tentative schedule to be sent to us outlining the weeks they would like us to be there.
Projected first visit would be in February.
Brrrr.
US Imperialism - Military Forces
6 years ago
4 comments:
This does sound exciting! You'll have to get Alberta clothes to survive - I've been reading about some of the ski/skidoo type clothing which sound warm. Gone are the "nice" clothes Nicole - no fashion allowed - just frost protectors. Hope things work out.
Love Mum
I can't be fashionable and frostproof at the same time? :) Mayble I'll have to do some shopping in AB for warmer clothing...
So exciting!!! Nome! Makes me think of Travelocity and the traveling gnome. Wow. Whoever does their marketing should get a fat raise. (That and I watch the Amazing Race)...
Hmmm... you may fly in and out of Seattle on your way to the frozen tundra up north. Need a place to stay?
Hope it will work out...we're still waiting for the final schedule until we make our final decision. What I think of is, "There's no place like Nome!" I read that on their web page. We'll likely move to the northwest if this happens...perhaps Seattle :) So, would we have to be on diaper duty if we stay with you? (I've actually never had to change a baby's diaper...good excuse!) I'm really excited if this happens! (the Nome/Seattle stuff, not the diaper duty).
Swell
Post a Comment