Sunday, October 14, 2007

We haven't updated in a few days. Not because we don't love you, simply because we have nothing to say.

Nothing ground breaking to talk about.

Nothing exciting going on in our lives.

We're just existing.

Working.

Sleeping.

Dying a little on the inside every day.

Our time in Atlanta has to come to a close sooner, rather than later.

JDL and The Good One can testify to this. They are the ones who, if they were paying attention (unlikely), saw Swell crying up a storm on the shuttle from our hotel in Vegas to the airport.

She's tired of being alone in the big city.

Tired of missing out on all the good things life has to offer.

Decatur is great. Our condo is great but 3000 miles away from closest family is not. We can't leave Atlanta without new jobs in our new city. Even with new jobs we will be taking up to a 30% pay cut just by leaving the Southeast and heading to the Pacific Northwest. That is not something we can take lightly. An excess of optometrists leads to low wages. Three new optometry schools being opened in the next 5 years will drive wages down even further. While those that know me know that I'm not a money kind of guy I do have 6 figure student loans to pay back and I can't do that making minimum wage. We'll have to find something with guaranteed cash flow in a city with a relatively low cost of living. We'll see.

I'm on my Saturday lunch break again. Had 13 patient encounters in my three before lunch hours. Will have an equally busy afternoon and I'll then be exhausted until tomorrow. Swell must be busy selling glasses (She rarely sees patients but is expected to work the floor when not busy *roll eyes* as I've haven't heard from her all morning.)

I joined the American Public Health Association and they send me a monthly Journal with public health articles in them. The first one I read was quite interesting. It outlined the history of the availability of birth control through insurances.

Basically saying that through the history of birth control very few insurance companies are/were willing to pay for contraception despite the obvious cost savings they would have if women were able to plan their pregnancies.

This lack of coverage regained attention with the development of Viagra as it was quickly put on most insurance companies' covered drugs whereas many still refuse to cover contraception.

A strange contradiction. But to me shows the importance that western society places on Women's health, which is...

...it doesn't.

4 comments:

J-L said...

We did notice Nicole's great upset at having to go home and away from family again. We know that we are so lovable that is difficult to leave us :-)

We miss you guys all the time and want you to move closer, too. We will continue to pray that an opportunity comes up that will be closer and meet your needs (Canada is a good place to live and our dollar is worth as much as the American one)

Anonymous said...

I agree with your sister on that one. Canada is a good place to live in considering our money has changed, But even somewhere like seattle is a considerable difference.

Jamie and I were just talking the other day about how sweet it would be if you lived somewhere like calgary so that we could come visit all the time.

But i understand money is money, and work is work, and all that jazz. It'll work itself out for you guys. God always has a way of providing.

CWH said...

Your blog touched on women's issues, just like mine did. Apparently we were both in the same state of mind today.

I know G and I aren't family, but you're welcome to come down to Tampa any time !! I've been to Vancouver, does that make me "kinda" Canadian ;)

apriljahns said...

I'm so out of touch with women's health care issues because my insurance covers just about everything that could be covered (having said that, they are still an infuriating company to deal with). Why is it more important to cover viagra than birth control? Crazy.
I am with Jen, Seattle would make a considerable difference for you. : ) Although you were looking for a place with a low cost of living. If that is the case do NOT move to Seattle. I had sticker shock when I moved here from the 'Couv.