Sunday, September 30, 2007

I guess we'll make it a tradition...

It is Saturday. Obviously.

I am on my lunch break.

I am tired.

So tired.

Busyish morning. 8 exams and 1 follow up.

Busy afternoon coming up in a mere 30 minutes or so.

Swell must also be busy as she hasn't called/texted me back.

Swell has some good stories to tell but she isn't keen on telling them to you. They involve her being patronized, abused, and all around taken advantage of. Basically stories of being a young woman optometrist.

We've been attending church again. We hadn't gone in about a year (due in large part to living in a predominantly Islamic country).

Its been good. One thing I like about Veritas church is that they are socially aware and somewhat socially active. They will once again collect food for the food bank by going door to door in their communities. (We did our entire condo unit a couple of years ago and got a lot of food but will be away during this year's drive). They are also trying to become active in "Not for Sale" an anti-human trafficking group. Atlanta is the leading city in the US for human trafficking. Not a great distinction.

Swell and I are going to go to a movie tonight called Trade as a percentage of the first week's box office receipts will go to some groups involved in ending human trafficking. We were encouraged to go by the pastor of the church so we'll follow his suggestion. The movie only has a limited release this week so it may not be showing in your town.

In addition to being socially aware they are a young church (both the church and the members) and seem to want to do more than just preach at people. They want to help people.

We've been attending a financial "bible study" after church. Little bothers me more than a group of Christians getting together and talking about money. I know that we aren't the best with our money and that we could do more. We try to give a lot away between World Vision, Swell's family, Medical Teams International and our church but we don't do as much as we should/could.

But when the premise of the study is the building of wealth I just get irked a little. While there is nothing wrong with money the very first lesson in any Xian bible study, as far as I'm concerned, should be to consume less. To spend less. To be concerned about how our money is spent and where it goes. Instead the lessons are simply don't go into debt, rather save for the things you want. As Xians we should be called to watch our wants carefully. I'm very bad at this. I have too much. I should feel guilty about all the things that I have. I don't need it all. We should be encouraged to sacrifice multiple TVs. Multiple cars.

We should question the need of a bigger house when we really have very big houses to begin with.

Anyway. We'll keep going as we need to learn about investments, etc. But I'll fume a little bit every session.

Well its almost time to go back to work.

*sigh.

3 comments:

apriljahns said...

I am torn about the whole money/faith/church thing because I grew up in a church where it was beat into you (faith = prosperity). Now I tune it all out even though I know I shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater. I believe it is wise to be a good steward of what God has given you and that it is not wrong to want something or even to save for it (far better than wanting it then blindly spending on credit to get it).
I wish you peace and success (however you define success) on your journey with the money/faith thing.

Anonymous said...

Have a great time in Vegas. Wish I was there. Lov Mum

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zEaXwd-Y9Uk

present for you. Go watch it.