So my 4:15pm patient and his mother show up at around 4:45pm today. I wasn't terribly bothered because it wasn't a full exam, I had a slow afternoon, and the mother screamed as she walked in the door: "We're late. Sorry. We completely forgot about the appointment and then when we remembered we rushed right over."
I took them back to the exam room and said: "So wuz up?" Nah. I really said "What can I do for you today?" As the kid had just had an exam a couple of months ago.
(Earlier in the day I came this close to saying: "Come back after you see your retinitis pigmentosa dude." but caught myself just in time and said, "come back after you see your retinitis pigmentosa duuu..doctor." Now for all of the optometrists who might read this don't roll your eyes at me. I don't know why she sees an RP dude. She just does. I'm not gonna steal patients.)
Anyway back to the kid.
I sit in my chair face the kid and ask "What can I do for you today." All of a sudden I hear a whirlwind of chatter from behind my back as the mother speaks a mile a minute about his eyes this and his contact lenses that. This kid is like 15 and Mum didn't even let him have a chance to answer. So she talks and talks. When she finishes I turn back to the kid and say, "So Jim (not his real name) what do you have to say?"
I hate it when the "guest" in the exam room talks for the patient. It bothers me so much.
Anyway it turns out that his contact lenses feel dry... or he has a tick from his ADHD... or its from his medicine for his ADHD because they just upped his meds. This started the first of many arguments between patient and Mum. He tells me that he has no idea what she is talking about. That his lenses are fine. That she made his physician up his meds and that they make him feel weird and so on and so forth.
Mum yells at patient that he just started his new meds a few days ago. He yells back. I sit and stare at my chart.
I end up changing his contact lenses because, in my humble opinion, he was in crappy contact lenses. We go back to the room so I can look at them as the patient complains that the lenses feel terrible.
He then proceeds to say that there was nothing wrong with his old lenses to which Mum yells then why were you rubbing your eyes so much, blinking so much, why did your teachers complain so much. And so on and so forth.
They continue to yell at each other while I look dumbly at the chart. Eventually they tire out and I ask the kid "Now that we've had a chance to talk about other things how do the lenses feel?"
Kid: "Oh. They actually feel very good. Much better than the other ones."
They argue some more.
Then Mum turns to me and says: "He just started his freshman year (Grade 9 for you Canadians)and they've only been in school for four weeks and he is already a disaster."
My heart breaks for the kid. His mum just called him a disaster. He is obviously socially awkward. I am sure that school isn't much fun for him. He probably has a few friends and they try to hide their days away in high school and here she is calling him a disaster.
What can you say? I just said, "You're not a disaster. I think these contact lenses will work much better for you."
What goes through parent's minds? Calling your kid a disaster! So sad.
US Imperialism - Military Forces
6 years ago
7 comments:
oh, so sad. I can't believe some parents could be so rude to their kids and then they wonder why the kids are messed up. Anyways, please say HI to Moses for me.
Great to hear from you - thanks for sharing your story - sad this mom isn't raising her child to be independent and to be able to speak for himself appropriately. Its not bad enough to feel like you are a social misfit (as all 15 year olds do) but to be called a disaster is crushing. If your mom doesn't believe in you, who will? Glad you were able to affirm him by telling him he wasn't a disaster. Hope his heart heard that.
I always love when the wives answer for the husbands, fill out the paperwork for them, and then tell me what "the husband" is feeling. What is he 8 years old ?!
I feel awful for your patient. having a parent say that in front of you is heartbreaking!
STORY OF MY LIFE!
haha.
my heart goes out to this kid. I can relate on so many levels.
Like what your family said It's hard when your own mother doesn't even believe you can be more. I'm glad you said what you did, that bit of what you said could save him from potentially thinking the worst of his life. I guess that's where Jamie gets it from. Good hearts in the Pearce family.
Through God Jamie saved me from suicide a very very long time ago because of something very similar to this. I haven't thought about it one day since.
One person can make a difference in anothers lives.
thanks for your story matthew.
Sorry about the dollar, my very poor brother!
everyones poor these days. It's the newest trend.
Way to stick up for the kid, Sheepie. Sounds like the mother is a disaster and is failing her child.
Post a Comment