Monday, August 27, 2007

We're here and we're...

well we're not doing much.

We returned from a great vacation in Florida to a few days of work. I worked my regular Wednesday job and it was ok. Yesterday was my first day at my new part-time job...

It was also good but very, very interesting. Three major things happened. None of which I will repeat here. But I will tell stories to those that ask on a non-public forum. One of the stories is crazy, one is interesting, the other is sad but all told they made for an interesting day. I was extremely busy and expect to be very busy the days that I am there. I will be there this Tuesday, Saturday and then on Labour day for a half day. The good thing about getting this job is that it is on the Marta (subway) line so I can take the train to work rather than having to buy a second car. Score!

In our personal lives we will be visiting with a financial planner in the next few weeks. We found an organization through the pastor of the church we attend that offers true financial planning. They will write up a report which will suggest how much to invest, how to invest, where to invest. How to save for retirement. Etc. Basically they look at your financial position and your short and long term goals and develop a plan to get you there. If they figure we make enough money and require more personalized/frequent investment advice we can hire them (they are paid a fee rather than working off of commission) to control our finances. We've been married and working for five years and haven't started planning for our future so we're looking forward to getting some direction. We were very lucky to come home from Florida to a bunch of money. Our tax return, our mortgage refund, and an overdue paycheque for me. It was all our money but it was nice to get it.

Swell has had her job finalized. She will be working 4-5 days a week at her old job and is somewhat happy with that. She will be paid as an employee which is really important. She will have health insurance - which is also really important.

So it has been a good week back from our time in Florida. I'll write some about Florida tomorrow.

4 comments:

Jill said...

I am interested in hearing your three stories from work. At least your job is somewhat interesting and it's not boring.
Good to hear about Swell's job and insurance, she needs it.
I hope you had a good birthday in Florida.

Anonymous said...

I want the stories.

Love Mum

apriljahns said...

Oooh - stories you won't post. I am eager to hear them.

Seeing new posts was a treat since its been a few weeks. : )

Glad Swell's happy-ish about her new/old job and woo-hoo for health insurance!

Unknown said...

April, send me your email address and I'll send you the "Secret Stories".