So Swell told me this story the other day I found it funny and slightly mean. Let me preface the story by telling you a little about where Swell works.
She works in an upscaleish commercial optometry practice. Commercial optometry means that the optical is the focus of the business and the optometry is the afterthought.
She also works in the suburbs of Atlanta.
OTP.
Outside the Perimeter.
ITP inside the perimeter is either ghetto or expensive with very little in between. For the same amount of money our condo cost ITP we could have purchased a 4 bedroom/2 bath house OTP.
The drawback? A very time consuming commute. Traffic coming in from the suburbs is atrocious. 2 hour drives just to get to work. It would suck. I couldn't do it so we have a smaller place and we live in the city.
Anyway a lot of suburbanites in Metro-Atlanta seem to have the attitude that they are very wealthy, and very important. Swell sees many of them.
Many of her patients are better than the employees at the store, better than Swell, and are some of the most important people in the world. They take every opportunity to indicate how important they are.
My car!
My house!
My job!
My traveling!
My importance!
Patient in a condescending I'm better than you tone "We're going to be going to London pretty soon."
Swell "Oh, it was cold last time we were there."
Patient "Tsk. When was that? because I'm going soon and I'm better than you".
Swell "Well we were last there on July 4th and it was cold. It was also cold when we flew through there on May 25th and in January."
That is how I heard the story. In reality? I'm not sure but I laughed and laughed when she told me the story. Maybe its just me. Maybe its just the way she tells the story. So funny.
So I worked! I worked yesterday way out in Hickville. It was soooo far away. (50 miles) and we had to rent a car because there was really no way to carpool. I got to work at a Wal-Mart. A filthy disgusting Wal-Mart.
I know that I'm not the tidiest person in the world. We're not messy per se. We are slightly cluttered, however. Our floors are clean and our kitchen/dishes are done every night. Our laundry doesn't pile up but all of our bookshelves, extra drawers are overflowing. I'm getting better as we threw a lot of stuff away when we came home last month.
A lot of stuff.
But anyway nothing bothers me more (well a lot of things bother me equally to this) than a messy practice. This Wal-Mart I was at was a pig sty. Stains all over the carpets. Junk all over the counters. Drawers unorganized. You'd be amazed how many optometry practices are like this. Just filthy.
It would make it difficult for me to go in everyday to an unorganized mess.
I don't know why I'm writing this story. I guess it just irked me.
I work next Wednesday as well at my new one-day-per-week job. Then next weekend we are off to Florida.
We are really looking forward to the drive.
In fact that is what we're looking forward to the most. Call us weird. We don't care. We embrace our weirdness.
I'll end with a statement and a question.
Statement Congratulations Matt and Crina (on the birth of your daughter) A. Person. Yes I know its funny! I love it. They named their kid A. Person!
Question How many times does one congratulate a pregnant woman? I assume one congratulates them when they announce their pregnancy. One then congratulates them when they give birth. Do we congratulate them again when we see them? When they make it home? When we give them a gift?
Its all for really the same thing. Is there a way to give them a half a congratulations at announcement and then a quarter of a congratulations at birth and the final quarter when you finally meet the rugrat? I feel that with all the people that we know that are/were pregnant they are going to steal all of my congratulations.
US Imperialism - Military Forces
6 years ago
4 comments:
I guess I didn't really find the story funny. Sorry you had to work in a unorganized dirty place. I wouldn't be able to work there very well. Hopefully your other job will be better.
I guess you congratulate them as much as you want mostly when the baby is born. After you see the baby you can stop.
Thank you for this comment. We've had some great comments over the years but this comment has brought such joy to our lives for the past few days. Whenever we need a laugh one of us just has to quote your comment. It was and is truly, honestly, "no-jokingly" appreciated.
she will be a nurse: "A.Person report to room #243"
Congratulate as often as you feel like it - unless you work with them or see them frequently - then it would just get old.
I found the story funny - not laugh out loud but smirk to myself funny. It's fun to suck the wind out of a snob's superior sails.
Post a Comment