Saturdays are my favourite day of the week! If you'll recall we have satellite television - livin' large. Channel 265 is TVRi - TV Romania International. Every Saturday from 8pm to 10pm is everyone's favourite feel-good tv show - Surpriza Surpriza. This is a show where they take people with sad stories and give them surprises.
One of today's surprises underlines how Romanian Surpriza Surpriza is. A woman had a sad story of a dead cow. I am told that she wept the words "Whenever I close my eyes I still see it."
They brought out her first surprise. It was a wee little kitten. She started to cry. When they opened door number two to give her, her new cow she nearly died. She wept with great joy and excitement, immediately jumped out of her chair to go and see her new cow. She was excited beyond belief about receiving a cow and a kitten.
In the US people need to be given million dollar houses to show the same level of excitement as this woman had. Its a fun show even though I don't understand a word of it.
It is also fun to watch how far the "dancers" who entertain the crowd during the musical interludes can push decency boundaries. They wear next to nothing as they pretend to dance. Really, to me, it just looks like they are flailing about while three quarters naked, but what do I know?
Cursed
If you recall I was asked to write a test for a class I didn't teach. I wrote the test. The students did poorly.
One of the students wrote something on the last page of his test at the very bottom and signed it. It was written in Arabic so I could not read it. Today I asked someone to translate it for me.
"Dear Doctor. I got an extra point on my first exam. Apply it to this exam. If you don't I will not forgive you even in front of God on judgment day."
Please, please, please put this on my tombstone and make shirts with the same quote!
US Imperialism - Military Forces
6 years ago
5 comments:
Holy COW! That was hillarious! It would be funny to see Romanian TV show. Loved the story!
CP
Wow, that's an interesting quote to put at the end of a test. Do you know who wrote it and did the students know that you wrote the test?
I wish I got Romanian TV. Have a great week.
We had someone at my work who was having difficulty doing the tasks required of her. When she was in discussion with her supervisor and the supervisor's supervisork, the incompetent worker told the direct supervisor that her God would pay the supervisor back and that the supervisor would spend eternity in hell - seems to be a pattern for some religions to not accept the responsbility for their own actions but to curse those who are pointing out their inadequacies. How should the t-shirt read?
The Romanian t.v. show sounds familiar - with the different doors - poverty is relative isn't it - kids here feel like they are poor if they can't get the latest toy - while people there need food to eat. We are a spoiled bunch here, that's for sure.
What would have to be behind the door for you to get excited?
We are at the end of our vacation - back home later today. Its been relaxing and pretty cheap (from Canadian Standards) - probably a year's wages for those in Romania and in Palestine!
Have a good week. Love Mum
NO! If only the incredulous sound translated from this text I say, "No, way!" What student would have the audacity to say such a thing? I can't even wrap my brain around their thinking. Oy, oy, oy.
About the cow. That would be heart warming and sad and hilarious all at the same time.
About the student, we know him pretty well and I think it was a big joke. We found it very hilarious.
But it would have been scary if you didn't actually know the student and his personality.
swell
Post a Comment