As I read our comments I thought I should inform all y'all of some definitions of importance when living and working in Palestine:
Closed Checkpoints: When checkpoints are closed you are still free to carry on business as usual within Palestinian borders. It simply means that Palestinians are unable to enter Israel (or if they're lucky it is just much more difficult to enter Israel). Why is this a problem? There is little to no economy in Palestine and many Palestinians work in Israel. Checkpoints closed = no work = no money = well you get the idea.
Curfew: Curfew is when the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) impose a population to house arrest. We only had that for 4 days - and it didn't really affect us although there isn't much to do when the bulk of the city's population is confined to their home.
Invasion: Invasion is simply the incursion of the IDF into Palestinian land. An act of war in other parts of the world this is simply a fact of life. The incursion usually (always?) occurs in the middle of the night. They come in, kill some people, grab some others and leave. This happens with amazing frequency. We are so far away from the city center where most invasions occur that we don't hear anything. It was interesting, however, that after the curfew a few months ago that our street was littered with garbage. You could see piles of garbage neatly put in the middle of the street. You could also see areas where that garbage had been lit on fire. It turns out that sometimes the IDF use our street to enter Nablus and some young boys tried to do their part and installed "road blocks". The road blocks didn't accomplish much but I'm sure the young boys were proud of their work.
Well there are some definitions hope they help in future readings!
US Imperialism - Military Forces
6 years ago
2 comments:
I hope that you know that regardless of how "safe" you feel in comparison to those of Palestine that our prayers are still sent out to you and to them. As much as you feel safe through your blogs the initial feeling must be somewhat hesitant because you don't know what the next day brings you at all. I admire this about the two of you. I am weak and wouldn't last long. However, God has made the two of you courageous for a reason to do his work. I hope that the mission of you being there is being lived out. I will pray for the people, i will pray for you, and more so i will pray for the youth of that country who will hopefully carry on the good to our next generations.
The thought of it somehow seems to hurt more for me when i think of children (boys and girls) and young adults acting rebellious in fear of their leaders.
it's sad.
wow. what a nice prayer. thank you for praying for the youth. they are our hope and our only salvation. i am just reading swell and sheepie's diaries to learn about what they did in palestine. i spent a lot of time in nablus, because i was stranded there for weeks under strict 24-hour curfew in 2002.
Post a Comment